Tuesday, October 1, 2019

The Fairies are Coming

My next collection of dolls is coming together, and I wanted to post a brief introduction to this group before I start sharing individual dolls.

The focus of this collection is a group of four fairies.  Each fairy will represent a different season of the year, and each will be wearing a glorious custom-made outfit by the talented Julie Kelly of Fairy Tale Blessings.  I've had so much fun collaborating with Julie over the last few months, and I hope you'll take a moment to check out her beautiful Etsy shop.

The idea for these dolls was inspired by Maggie, a friend from the blog who manages to see a little bit of fairy magic in every doll I work on.  Thank you for the inspiration and support, Maggie!

In addition to the four main dolls, there will also be a duo of fairies wearing dresses by a different artist, and three Grab Bag Girls wearing some of the lovely non-custom outfits that I bought from the Fairy Tale Blessings Etsy store.

While you're waiting for the first fairy to land, I thought I'd show you how the four season fairies looked before I started working on them.  They're a pretty rag-tag bunch, I'll admit, but I see great potential in those pixie faces!

From left, in back: a 2001 Ariel and a 1997 Kelsey
From left, in front: a 2003 Danielle and a 2002 Denika

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! Woah, I didn't know they made dark-skinned My Twinns back in 1997. I thought they were newer. :o They must be hard to come by, right? I don't know much about these dolls, I just enjoy your posts a lot. And oh my gosh, that Danielle is SO cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dannie! I'd never found a doll with the darker skin tone and a white cloth body until now! She came with a sister who has the same skin tone and same body. I've only ever been able to find one other Denver doll with this skin tone in my years of searching. So I guess they're very hard to find--at least for me! I really wanted this skin tone for the Autumn fairy. :)
      I agree about that Danielle, too. She's a 2003, but I couldn't resist her. She has "fairy" written all over that sweet face! She also has a broken arm (which is why she's blocking poor Denika...) so I really hope I can fix her.

      Delete
    2. As a child, I owned a My Twinn doll with a darker skin tone and white body (technically I still have it, tucked away in the cluttered depths of my mother's attic...). I received my doll for Christmas of 99, and it was made in Denver. I believe I had a Pearl face mold. I suspect the "white body/dark skin" was only applied to dolls with mixed ethnicities. I'm Italian/Burgher, presumably my complexion sent the doll artists for a loop. In case you're wondering, the doll looked nothing like me (well, they did get my eye shape correct) but that didn't stop my childhood self from playing with the doll.

      Although I do remember my doll's brown eyes turning red from exposure to sunlight (?) which made it rather sinister looking (my sister would make me put the doll away in the closet at night because it freightened her). Also, the skin turned darker as well - my doll originally had a dark-gold skin tone, it turned an Addison's Disease bronze as the years passed. In hindsight, I probably should have started with that fact - its likely the doll you have merely darkened over the years. Compared to American Girl, the My Twinn dolls were significantly less hardy. I remember my best friend's My Twinn doll had its blue eyes turn white within a year.

      I apologize for my My Twinn doll ADD-dithering.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree! There's no way to do a group of fairies without an Ariel. Simple fact. And I like to include Denika in just about everything! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ariel and Danielle say fairy to me...so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree, Franny! It took me ages to settle on this group, but each of them gave me new inspiration for a particular season!

      Delete