Sunday, September 27, 2020

The Little Women

Whew!  I have about ten different things going on in my life right now, and it's a real battle to find time in the workroom with the Twinns.  However, I'm determined to finish this one very special collection before the move completely consumes my life.

Back in February, I began corresponding with Rebecca from the Stitch in Times Designs Etsy shop.  Rebecca is a seamstress who makes beautiful historical clothing for dolls like American Girl, A Girl for All Time, and My Twinn. Rebecca and I decided to collaborate on a project, and chose Little Women as a mutually-inspiring theme.  Now, 7 months and 215 messages later, I consider Rebecca to be a good friend...and an incredible artist.  Wait until you see what she made for these girls!

My challenge over the next few weeks will be to create dolls that are worthy of Rebecca's outfits.  Here's what I had to work with (see if you can guess each doll's character!):

My Twinn Little Women (before picture).
I was absolutely positive that Amy should be a pale Madison.  I was also pretty happy with the decision to have Meg be Catherine since the Catherine mold has a more mature look than some of the others.

Beth and Jo were a little harder to cast.  I settled on a sweet, broken-necked pale Caitie for Beth because she pulled at my heartstrings in much the same way that the Beth character does.  And, in a very last-minute decision, I decided that this broken-necked Emma had the spunk necessary for the character of Jo:

In back, from left: Meg (Catherine mold), Beth (Caitie mold), Amy (Madison mold).
In front: Jo (Emma mold).
Meg is finished and just needs to get dressed and sit for her photo session, so I'll get things rolling with this group soon.  

Meanwhile, I have two "quick fix" My Twinns that will be posted on the TBP Virtual Garage Sale later today.  Here are previews of them:

Quick Fix Wendy.
Wendy needed a new body, new eyelashes, a new wig, and some eyebrow touch-ups.

Quick Fix Lenora.

Lenora needed a new body, a new wig, and some eyelash repair (Lenora sold--thank you!).

In general, the quick fix dolls will be girls who do not need any face paint, just some basic maintenance before they're ready to go back out and play!

That it's for now--but I'll be back soon with the eldest of the March sisters!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, she sold before I even got a change to read her listing! I check the shop every day but I guess it's not often enough, ha ha. I wonder how a doll ends up with bite marks! Human? Dog? Zombie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed Meg and Jo, wasn't sure about the others. Will they have historically accurate hairstyles? I can't wait to see Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the question of the day, BlackKitty! I just finished photographing Meg, but I think I did her hair wrong. Too many tendrils. It's more Sense and Sensibility than Little Women. I might just leave it, though. Hair is not really my forte. :/

      Delete
    2. Oh, I didn't mean to be so critic! I was just thinking about the recent movie. Tendrils and Sense and Sensibility is a whole lot better than sideswept beach waves like they created. I'm sure she turned out way better than you think.

      Delete
    3. No, you're good. I knew I had to change the hair before you commented. I just watched Sense and Sensibility the other day, in fact, so I guess it's no surprise that those hairstyles crept into my thinking! And yes, the Greta Gerwig Little Women was in my head, too (so many tendrils and beach waves!!). Civil war hair was much more severe. The nice thing is, Meg's hair is a normal, unmodified wig, so her future owner can re-create the hairstyle at any time, in any way they like! :D

      Delete
  3. I can't wait the see them all!
    ~ Jerusha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!! I'm so excited for this project, I love historical fashion and I'm really stoked to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I’m so excited about this project! I spotted your Beth right away. She’s going to be sweet. Can’t wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete