Sunday, May 19, 2019

The Fabulous Emma Twinns

These two cuties were both fixed up long before I had the idea to start a shop or a blog, so this (sadly) will be another post where I don't have any great before and after comparisons.

As much as I love a big reveal at the end of a restoration project, I'll have to forego that and just show you the finished Emma twins right away.

Meet Emma (left) and Tara (right):

Fixed-up My Twinn Emma dolls: Emma (left) and Tara (right).
I did salvage some screen shots from the eBay auctions where I found these dolls.  Here's Tara as she looked in her auction:



She was in really nice shape overall.  When I saw in her person, though, I wasn't thrilled with her purplish eyes or her frizzy wig.  

I really like thick eyebrows on dolls so Tara's eyebrows were a plus for me, but they ended up having too many areas of missing or smudged paint.  That kind of thing can be hard to work around, so I decided to completely re-paint the brows.

I actually re-painted her whole face, including freckles. I also gave her new Secrist brand Victorian blue eyes and found her an unused, authentic My Twinn wig.  The wig is a little on the dry side (just from being old) but it's worlds better than her original wig and it suits her perfectly:


When I first painted Tara's eyebrows, I used watercolor pencil.  I've discovered that this method is not very durable, so I've since switched to using only high-quality acrylic paint for the eyebrows. 

Tara's watercolor brows started to wear off after only a few months:


They were especially faint on her right side:


A few weeks ago I decided to rub the watercolor brows off and re-paint them with acrylics.  

In this picture the left eyebrow is done and I've just started to outline the right eyebrow with light paint brush strokes:


Here's Tara with her new eyebrows.  They could probably could have been even darker than this, but my instinct is to step away before I overdo things:


Tara also needed a neck repair, and I can't say I did a very neat job of this.  I think it was one of the first neck repair jobs I attempted with my hot glue gun.  I've learned a bit since then!

There's glue bulging around the neck seam, and I got a few little spots of glue on Tara's cloth torso:


This close-up shows the glue spot on her cloth body, and also (just underneath the glue) a faint dark stain from Tara's old life that I was unable to scrub away:


Many of the My Twinn dolls have a gap under their necks where the foam body ends and the vinyl neck begins.  This gap was especially pronounced on Tara.


I stuffed a little bit of polyfill into the area just below Tara's cable tie, and this helped to smooth out her neck region.  

Here she is all put together:


Here's the glue/stain area again--it's not too noticeable from a distance:


Tara's body is in pretty good shape.  She is from 2001, which is the Denver era of production:


Her armature squeaks moderately and she has some snags in her torso.


There's also a faint darker area along her back seam that's hard to see both in photos and in real life.  It looks like a water stain or a darkened area from old clothing.  Tara does not have any odors or mustiness to her:


She has a few minor scuffs and shiny spots on her vinyl limbs, but nothing that required repair:



I love Tara's sweet face.  She's probably the most successful Emma repaint I've done to date.  I feel like the combination of dark hair and light eyes works really well:


I married a man with dark hair and blue eyes, so that might be coming into play here.  I do love the combination!

Here's a look at the back of the wig:


It has wonderful, medium-length waves, but is still pretty easy to brush and manage.

I had a fun time photographing Tara.  Here are some of my favorite shots:






I paired Tara with the blue dress from Doll Clothes by Carole.  It goes really well with her coloring.  She's also wearing my favorite shoes from Simply for Dolls:

A bit of favoritism for this girl...
Here are a few more pictures of Tara showing off her new clothes!






The second Emma twin got to keep the name Emma since she was the first Emma I ever bought.  

I've been through a lot with this doll!  I bought her back in August of last year.  This is how she looked in her auction photos:


SO cute, right??  I totally fell in love with her--especially her bright green eyes.

Unfortunately, when she arrived she was shrouded in an unbearably intense floral stench.  I could hardly stand to be next to her, and I'm not very sensitive to smells.  

After some investigation, I discovered that the smell was coming from her wig.  Probably someone tried to condition or clean it.

I had to remove and discard the wig. It needed to get out of the house!  After that, I washed her head many times and let the smell slowly dissipate for the better part of six months.  Even after all of this, the smell is still detectable if I put my nose right near her new wig.  It's a pleasant, mild smell now, though, not something that makes me want to gag.

The second disappointment was that her eyelashes had been re-glued with superglue, which made them really hard to remove.  The glue also damaged her gorgeous eyes.  This was the biggest blow.

I gave her some new bright green Secrist eyes, new eyelashes, new face paint (with faint freckles) and a glorious wig from Exquisite Doll Designs.  The wig came with corkscrew curls that, combined with the extreme length of the hair, made it impossible to manage.  I decided to straighten the wig, and now it's silky-smooth and much more manageable:


Here's the wig from the back:


The mix of colors in this wig is what makes it so special.  It's not just plain dark brown; there are streaks of auburn and chestnut mixed in as well:


This wig is not being offered by Exquisite Doll Designs anymore from what I can tell (much to my dismay).  I hope something like it will appear in the future.

Emma has some glue residue around her hairline because I'm not very good at gluing wigs.  I'm a little better at this now than I used to be, but back when I placed this particular wig I was on a steep learning curve.  

The little spots of glue don't bother me, but I understand that they might bother some people, so here's a close-up look:



Emma is from 2001 and has the armature squeaks and snags in her cloth torso that tend to come with a doll this old.



She also has some faint redness in her fingers that I was unable to remove.  I don't think it's that noticeable unless you're looking for it:


Here are some more shots of Emma without her clothing:



Emma's eyebrows are original:


I chose the green dress for Emma because of her eyes, but this isn't quite as perfect a match as the blue dress was for Tara:






Here she is with her hair down again:



What makes this Emma special is her hair.  I'm a little sad to sell her because I may never be able to give another doll this wig.  It's so pretty and really fun to play with!




I love Emma in this original My Twinn red velvet dress.  She looks like she's ready for a Christmas party:


This dress will be included with her, just because I can't picture any of my other My Twinns wearing it as well as she does!

Here are the twins together again:


Both girls have found wonderful homes.  Thank you!

Here's a summary of what was done to each doll:

Tara (in blue):
-new face paint (including eyebrows but not lips)
-new wig (original, unused My Twinn wig from Denver)
-new Secrist acrylic eyes
-new eyelashes
-neck repair
-spot cleaning
-stuffing placed near neck to fill gap

Emma (in green):
-new face paint, excluding lips and eyebrows
-new wig (Exquisite Doll Designs, straightened)
-new Secrist acrylic eyes
-new eyelashes
*a faint floral smell still remains on this doll

If you want to know more about what materials I use and some of my techniques, check out the Restoration Techniques and Products tab at the top of the page!

Emma (left) and Tara (right)

4 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the way these girls turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lurkins from a long time agoAugust 10, 2019 at 1:34 AM

    I'm so glad to see you have made a new blog to show off your My Twinn work. I'm always amazed at how beautiful their faces look (you are an amazing painter, no joke), and I love seeing the before and after pictures. I was rather crushed when Toy Box Philosopher shut down so abruptly (I feel like something awful must have happened because you closed comments so we couldn't even say goodbye, and it was so sudden...) as it was easily my favorite blog, so this new blog is a nice gift to find. I hope that your experience here is better. Whatever happened at TBP, I'm sorry on behalf of all your fans/readers/lurkers/etc. There are definitely people out here who appreciate you, the art you produce, and your kindness in sharing your collections and process online! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lurkins! It's so awesome to see you here! Sorry it took so long for me to find this comment. I tend to just check in on the most recent post's comments, but that's silly!
      Thank you so much for your nice words. They mean a lot to me. Also, I'm sorry about how TBP ended. I didn't mean to make people confused or crushed! You know how life is, sometimes lots of things get super-complicated all at once, and something has to give. Everyone who read and contributed to that blog was a treasure to me--certainly not any part of the problem.
      I'm enjoying this smaller, simpler site, though! I especially like seeing familiar "faces" here! Thank you so much for visiting and saying hi! :D

      Delete
    2. I know, indeed. I'm just glad that nobody did something terrible to chase you off the internet or something, lol. Hopefully this is a lot less pressure - plus you can actually potentially make money off of it, which I remember was something you found frustrating about TBP. Kind of funny to think you ended up here from collecting Cinderella dolls!

      Delete