Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Gabriel

Of the five Ariel dolls that I have left to work on, two of them came with bad staining on their limbs.  The stains are nothing like what I found on Cassiel, but the marks will still take a while to fade.  While the Remove-Zit is working its magic on those limbs, I've been focused on one of the un-stained dolls.

Despite the relatively good condition of this girl's body, for some reason I found her uninspiring.  Sometimes a doll's original appearance--no matter how beat-up or dirty--will speak to me in some way and give me ideas about what her makeover should entail.  With this girl, something about her heavy, blonde bob and pale, generic face paint left me feeling neutral.

To make matters worse, her fair coloring and heavy bangs made it really hard to take well-lit, clear pictures of her.  She was always trying to fade away into the shadows:

2001 My Twinn doll with the Ariel face.
I decided to try and pull this girl out of her shell and give her a bright new look.

All of the Ariel-faced dolls are going to have names with an -iel ending, and so I started this doll's transformation by giving her what I think is the strongest name in the group: Gabriel.

I've known a few Gabriels and Gabrielles in my time, and because of those associations, this name conjures the idea of an intelligent, strong-minded, dark-haired girl.

While she didn't look much like a Gabriel to me at first, I think she grew into her name.


Gabriel came with a nice 2001 body in good (slightly dirty) condition.  She has a bit of squeaking in her right shoulder and some picks on her torso, but I didn't have to contend with any glaring stains or scuffs:






As you can see, there's one long snagged bit of fabric on her back.  I didn't want to cut this, but I did thread it on a needle and tuck it back into her cloth body.

Here's a look at one of the dirtier limbs:


Fortunately, all of the dirt and most of the scuffing on her vinyl limbs was easily washed away with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

The only other work I did on the body was to unstitch the back seam, peel away some of the foam body, and lubricate the stiff armature in her right shoulder.  Unfortunately, this didn't fix the squeaking very well.  Perhaps it will loosen a bit more over time.

Because the connection between Gabriel's head and body looked a little precarious, I removed the head completely from the body.

Here's the head on its own:


Underneath those heavy bangs, Gabriel had faint, generic eyebrows and worried-looking eyes:


She also had a dirty face and a scuff on the tip of her nose:


I scrubbed the head with Mr. Clean and then stripped away whatever was left of the factory paint:


I also got rid of the old (slightly wonky) eyes:


And I sanded down the scratch on her nose:


I wanted to stick with Gabriel's original eye color, but I swapped to something a bit more rich and vibrant: my new favorite blue eyes, A223 by Eyeco.


I think she already looks less worried, although the Ariel face mold is prone to this expression for some reason.

To replace her faint, blocky eyebrows, I painted some new black brows that are a little bit scruffy around the edges:



For Gabriel's lip paint, I painted to the very edges of the mold, creating wide, thick lips:



And then I gave her some rosy blushing with no freckles whatsoever (gasp!):


After the blushing was done, I went back and deepened the color of the lips a little bit more:


I had intended for Gaby to have a jet-black wig with bangs, but the bangs didn't suit her new eyebrows, so I ditched that wig and gave her a dark brown (nearly-black) Monique Timarie wig instead...with black lashes to match:


She definitely has a Snow White vibe going on with this coloring...although I guess Disney's Snow White has brown eyes.  I don't know why I always picture the character as blue-eyed.

Like Cassiel, Gabriel is dressed in a plain white peasant dress with a simple ribbon sash.  This time I chose a blue sash.  Whenever I get the crystal charms in the mail, Gabriel will have a fake sapphire necklace (the September birthstone).

Here she is!


Gabriel's wig has lovely curls, and so I have only finger-combed the hair at this point.  I'll leave it up to her new owner to decide whether or not to take a brush to this wig.


Here's the wig from the back:


I know I've said this a zillion times before, but I love how dark hair looks with blue eyes!  


This wig is only glued at the front and at the back.  Monique wigs do not fit as tightly as the custom wigs, so there's a temptation to glue the sides.  I've never had much luck with this, though; I always seem to get some glue residue showing along the hairline or through the wig cap.

Here are a few of my better shots of Gabriel:




I had the wig parted down the middle when I was gluing it on Gabriel's head (this helps me keep it centered), so you can still see a bit of a part along the top of her head.



The hair on this wig can also be flipped around any which way, though, since the part is not stitched into the cap:






I tried clipping Gaby's hair back, but my usual style didn't look great on her:


I looked better from the sides than from the front, though:


I actually like her hair with the clips placed just an inch or so back from the hairline, like this:


I think Gaby liked this style, too, because she didn't want me to take the clips out!


Incidentally, all of the Ariel dolls will come with these silver rhinestone hair clips.



I managed to persuade Gabriel to take the clips out for her official portrait:


Here's her comparison GIF:


And here's a still version of the after shot:


This is not really a fair comparison since the before picture is so poorly-lit, but even considering that, I think Gabriel looks better now.

I zoomed out for one last portrait so that you can see her full wig:


I took Gaby outside on an especially sunny, hot, and humid day (this is becoming the norm here in Maine, which is very odd...and kind-of yucky).

At first, I posed her in a partly-sunny patch of the yard.  I like how this setting highlights sections of her hair!




The direct sunlight was not quite as flattering...although it shows off Gabriel's bright eyes nicely!


I took most of my photos in the shady protection of our woods. These pictures probably show off Gabriel's coloring the best.


She's extremely photogenic:



Gabriel seemed completely unfazed by the heat and humidity, and was intent on watching everything that was going on in the backyard, from the birds flitting between trees...


...and the squirrels chasing each other across the lawn...


...to my pack of four dogs, trapped on the back deck, losing their tiny minds because they weren't allowed to join us:


Through it all, Gabriel stayed calm and collected.


She might not resemble Snow White perfectly, but Gabriel definitely feels to me like some kind of wood-dwelling princess:


The big question is, though, did I make her look different enough from Cassiel?  Let's take a look.  First, here's a reminder of what our redheaded girl looked like outdoors:


And here's Gabriel:


I think these two are fairly different, although I'll keep pushing myself to do more.  The third Ariel's face is mostly painted at this point, and I think she looks even more distinct--like a distant cousin, perhaps.  We'll see if you agree!

In the meantime, I think Gabriel lived up to her strong name.  She shed her muted paint and stepped out from under those thick bangs to embrace a brighter, bolder new future.

Here's a summary of all the work that was done on Gabriel:
-her head was removed from her body and all of her vinyl parts were cleaned
-lubrication was placed on the armature of her right should to try and reduce the squeaking
-a scuff on the tip of her nose was sanded down
-her head was coated with Mr. Super Clear sealant
-her old eyes were replaced with Eyeco acrylic A223 eyes
-she was given new face paint, including lips, blush, and eyebrows
-her head was re-attached to her body and the back seam was re-sewn
-she's wearing a very dark brown Monique Timarie wig that has only been finger-combed
-she was given new black eyelashes
-she is wearing a white peasant dress made by Carole from Doll Clothes by Carole.  The dress is accented with a blue satin ribbon and will include a matching pendant necklace

Gabriel still has some squeaking in her right shoulder.  She also has some pilling on her cloth torso.  There's an area of mild discoloration on her right forearm.  Otherwise, she only has minor scuffs and shiny marks from being 19 years old.  One thing worth noting is that because her wig has only been finger-combed, using a brush on this hair will change its appearance somewhat.  For reference, please see the brushed-out Timarie wigs on Poppy or Valerie.

Gabriel has sold.  Thank you!

24 comments:

  1. What a glamorous girl! She's giving me Lily Collins vibes. I repainted an Ariel once and making the lips fuller really transforms it. Super beautiful work on this gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki! Lily Collins is very beautiful, so that's a good association! I've never experimented with lip painting this much before--it's really fun! I'd love to see your re-painted Ariel. :)

      Delete
    2. Here is Lara:
      https://www.instagram.com/p/CD1W5m4AJ7x/

      Delete
    3. Oh, WOW! She's not what I expected! How amazingly cool. I'm a Star Trek fan, too! I'ld love to know how you attached all of the intricate facial features! Thank you so much for sharing.

      Delete
    4. Apoxie Sculpt is my best friend for this kind of thing! It air-dries solid as a rock and adheres super strongly, too.

      Delete
  2. I understand what you mean by uninspiring! She looked like a kid from an early 90s commercial with that wig. Now she looks like a real person with emotions. Will the necklaces fit the dolls or the owners? I'm a total magpie, can't wait to see the jewellery you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I totally get the early 90s commercial similarity! That made me laugh out loud. Cereal commercial, for sure.

      I'm not exactly sure what to do with the necklaces yet, but I figured I'd use the silver chain from the locket necklaces and make a similar thing with the crystal charms? Just simple. I'm not great at jewelry. :/

      The charms very small (6mm), so I think it'd have to be a doll necklace. Do you have any thoughts? I'm certainly open to ideas!

      Delete
    2. I think the dolls will look lovely with necklaces! For dolls this big, you can get away with human sized clasps and chains, just cut the chain to size and snip the extender chain in half. If you don't have premade necklaces, get separate clasps and jump rings. Open the jump rings by twisting the ends away from each other. Connect the clasp to a chain using a smaller jump ring, slide the charm and attach a bigger jump ring to the other end of the chain - big enough to stop the charm. If you wish to add extender chain, but you don't have it, simply attach a few more big jump rings. Once you master that, we can talk three-strand Barbie chain with custom charms, clasp and jump rings 😅

      Delete
    3. Well, I wish I'd had this tutorial a few months ago! Lol! Thank you so much! I've been making lockets for the dolls I sell, so I have a bunch of chains, clasps, and jump rings. I'll probably use those.
      The charms came today so the next girl will be wearing her necklace...and once I show you that, will you show me your Barbie necklaces? ;) Those sound incredible! Barbie-sized custom charms?? Whoa.

      Delete
    4. There you go! I threw in another one for you, both are made with just nail art (yes, chains too) and bits of wire, and a scrap of leather to connect the spider. https://bit.ly/3fWq2zf

      Delete
    5. That is amazingly cool! SO tiny, and yet so intricate and beautiful! I'm hugely impressed. 3mm jump rings are enough of a challenge for me!
      I love your beaded jewelry, too (I was lurking around on your blog...)

      Delete
    6. Aww, thank you! I really think I should write more there, especially since I finished the spider necklace girl yesterday. Actually, you inspired me to dig into my stash of unfinished projects and put together a bunch of unloved body parts (well, that and the mail closing 😅). I have at least two trash-to-treasure stories I'm dying to share.

      Delete
  3. All Ariels are gonna look alike a little, since...well, since they're Ariels! I think you're doing a good job of making them look distinct so far, though. You've got me excited for the third one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point. I should keep reasonable expectations! I'm excited about the third one, too! I don't know why, exactly. Maybe because she doesn't have the typical Ariel expression anymore--at least in my eyes. I'll hurry up and finish her. ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work! As a Gaby, and a September birthday, she represents us quite well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow!! That's so cool. I'll go back and change the spelling of her nickname. :)

      Delete
  5. I agree that she looks like Snow White despite the eye color difference--I guess it's the combination of pale skin and very dark hair! Also, I have a couple of ideas for ways to make Ariels distinct: first, have you ever considered using two differently-colored eyes in one of your makeovers? Personally, I find heterochromia very beautiful and certainly unique! And second, perhaps you could try your hand at painting birthmarks on your dolls. I would love to see these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A heterochromia iridium My Twinn is a *very* cool idea! I liked being able to order American Girl dolls with mismatched eyes. I wonder what the most common color combination is? I'll have to do some research! Birthmarks would be a much bigger challenge for me. I struggle with tiny moles! But I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you for the ideas!

      Delete
  6. Lovely gal!!! Snow White indeed.-Micah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Totally Elizabeth Taylor. I was thinking about her in National Velvet as I was painting Gabriel. I loved that movie when I was a kid! I basically like any movie with horses in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily,
    She is just beautiful! Wow, what a change! Her eyes are so lovely with the dark hair, and I can tell the differences with her mouth compared to the first Ariel, too. Can't wait to see the third girl in the the works!
    Hugs,
    RebeccaT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dark hair with the blue eyes! I think she is very ethereal looking with the contrast. I used the dark brown Timarie wig on a Caitie doll that has brown eyes; I was really impressed with the wig's movement. Of course at our house it does get restyled often! Can't wait to see the next one!! Cari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a transformation! You did such great work on her Emily❤️

    ReplyDelete