Tuesday, August 4, 2020

An Abundance of Ariels

We're hunkered down here in Maine, waiting for whatever is left of Isaias, so I figured I'd get something posted before the power goes out.  I hope everyone further down the coast is doing ok!

The next collection is going to feature one of my favorite My Twinn faces: the Ariel mold.  This face is extremely common, and so there are always plenty of Ariels on the secondary market.

I was looking at my stash of dolls the other week and realized that I've amassed *five* Denver Ariel dolls with the same skin tone!  Apparently my fondness for this face (and its relative affordability) have caused me to accumulate an abundance of Ariels:

My Twinn Ariel dolls from the Denver era.
For those wondering, the head in the front of the picture is a doll that I've been working on since February, so this was the best I could do to include her in the group.

Here's what that decapitated Ariel looked like when I first got her:

Cute, but with the worst staining I've ever encountered.
I've seen so many Ariels at this point that sometimes I feel like the face is losing a bit of its magic.  So, for this collection, I decided to set an artistic challenge for myself: restore five Ariel dolls and try to make them all look as different as possible.

Different hair and eye color combinations will play a big part in this challenge, of course, but I also want to see how much I can do with face paint--try to push myself in new directions.

To add to the challenge, there will be a sixth (non-Denver) Ariel in the mix who will be my fourth giveaway doll:

The sixth clone.
The idea of this collection might not be as exciting as fairies, Harry Potter friends, or unicorn-loving girls, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge!

I hope a few of you like Ariel as much as I do.  I'll be back soon with the first makeover!

15 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of the four sisters and their mother from Little Women as a possible theme (if you are looking for one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent idea, but not for these five. Wait another month or so, though.... ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm excited for these and for those to come.

      Delete
  2. LOL, Ariel is my favorite head. I too have noticed that they seem to be easy to find on eBay and Etsy. I can't wait to see what you do with these, and I hope you don't get another tree branch through your roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man. I almost referenced that tree branch in the post, but I wasn't sure if anyone would remember! I can't forget because the hole is still in my ceiling (contractor never finished)! lol
      I'm so glad you like Ariel, too! I think she and Danielle have the sweetest of all the faces.

      Delete
    2. I remember the branch too! Hope your roof holds better this time.

      Delete
    3. Add me in - I also remember that branch! I'm sad to hear the hole is still there...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much, Linda! So far we don't even have much wind, so I'm feeling optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exciting! I like gathering my Barbies with the same sculpt and admire how different they look with different colours and painting styles. Yours will be more challenging because you can't put a lot of makeup on kids, so I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I'm excited to see what you come up with! I don't know how far you want to go with your modifications, but I've seen some play doll modders dye their vinyl to get different skin tones. Maybe something you could try since darker skin tones are rare and hard to find? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the bottom two already carry a different energy to their upper sisters, so maybe this challenge won't be as hard as you think! :D I think the eyebrows really do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so exciting, I cannot wait to see the finished dolls! Different face molds can add so much to a doll's characteristics, but there's a lot that can be done even if the face is the same. Apart from older dolls, I think Pullip and Blythe dolls are good more recent examples - even a change of the eye chips can make a huge difference, but the face-ups are also very varied and can lead to the dolls looking completely different at time. Just like someone has already mentioned, the eyebrows are probably the bext examples. And with Blythes, another customising option we've already discussed earlier is often there: face carving. Maybe this is the right time to try some minor modifications using this method? Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing your takes oan repainting the sextuplets :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool challenge! Hope you have lots of fun ^^ Good luck and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oi, Emily!
    Acho que vai ser realmente um grande desafio para você e por isso mesmo, empolgante para quem está desse meu lado.
    Te desejo boa sorte!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already love this challenge. I've always been impressed at how different two dolls with the same facemold can look, so this should be VERY interesting to see all the dolls together at the end. In fact this might be my favorite of your collection ideas so far. (Though the Hogwarts girls turned out so amazingly that I can't help but love that collection best of the finished ones. XD)

    ReplyDelete