Thursday, August 27, 2020

Liriel

I feel like in every collection I put together, there's a troublemaker: a doll whose makeover has a bunch of rough patches.  The Ariel repaints had been going so smoothly, I suppose I should have been anticipating some trouble at this stage...and yet it always manages to take me by surprise.

Meet my latest troublemaker, a 2002 Ariel with a beautiful skin tone and the hint of a smile:

2002 My Twinn doll with the Ariel face.
The ironic thing is that I named this girl Liriel before I even started working on her, and the name Liriel means "perfection." 

She turned out far from perfect, but let's go back and start from the beginning.

My whole idea with this doll was to try and bring out the smile in the Ariel face mold.  It's not one of the happier faces (it can even look a little sad sometimes), but I thought I could emphasize the cheeriness.

She looks like she could be happy, right?
Liriel came to me in decent shape, but she had a broken neck, a messy wig, and a lot of picks and snags on her cloth torso:


The cause for the loose head was pretty obvious once I opened the body: there was very little glue between the neck joint and the vinyl head.  Sadly, it looked like most of the glue had, instead, leaked down under the neck joint and onto the foam body.  It took me quite a while to clean all of the old glue away from the armature and foam.

I don't know if it was because of the glue leakage or not, but Liriel still has some limited mobility in her neck.  She doesn't look downward quite as well on her right side as on her left.  It's not a huge problem, but it's still worth noting.

Here's a look at some of the picks and snags on the front of her body:



The snagging on her back is much worse, and unfortunately there's nothing I can do to fix this:



Liriel's face was in good shape, with a just a scuff on her nose and a lot of dirt:


Underneath some mangled eyelashes, Liriel's original eye color was a pretty yellow-green, but the scleras were grey:


I removed Liriel's head (super-easy given that it was completely detached...) and took her into my workroom:


I removed the matted wig and plucked off the eyelashes:


This revealed a few more blemishes, like some white scratches across the left eye area:


And some loss of color and definition in the bottom of the (very dirty) left iris:


Here's a closer look at the scuff on the tip of Liriel's nose:


I also found a new blemish in between her eyes.  This one looks like a scratch from a mini cat!


Many dolls with the Ariel face mold have their mouths painted with exaggerated points in the bow of the upper lip.  Liriel was no exception:


I gave Liriel's head a thorough washing, which did a good job of removing all of the white scuff marks:


I stripped the original paint away and removed the old eyes.

After I sanded the scratches on Liriel's face (a step that apparently I did not photograph) I found a small dark spot on the tip of her nose, so I applied the tiniest little bit of Remove-Zit to that area:


Once the spot had faded and the vinyl had recovered, I sealed the face and got ready for some new eyes!


My vision for Liriel included bright blue glass eyes, so I gave her this lovely pair from Hand Glass Craft:


The pupils on these eyes are a little large, but I still think they're beautiful.

With the eyes in place, I set about trying to make Liriel's mouth look really happy.  

To do this, I emphasized the upward curve in the mold of her mouth on the left side, and I repeated this paint pattern on the right side, even though the mold on this side does not turn upward.

Doesn't she look happy?


Um...yeah.  If anything, I made her look less happy than she was at the start.  Great.

The only way poor Liriel looks happy is if I tilt her head back and look at her from the chin upwards, like this:

Not sad, at least.
I like the color of these lips and I didn't have any better ideas for how to create a happy expression, so I abandoned the smile idea and moved on.

All of the Ariel dolls in this collection have basically the same skin tone, but there are small variations from doll to doll.  Liriel has the palest skin tone in this group, so I tried to keep a very light hand with her blush:


I also knew that I wanted to give Liriel a pale wig, so I painted her eyebrows using a very light brown:


This layer of paint didn't show up very well...


...so I painted on top of the brown with a whiter shade: 


Here's a closer look:


I chose a ZaZou Custom wig for Liriel (the platinum Caroline wig), but this wig has the same length and curl pattern as the Meredith wig that I used for Sari.  I didn't want both dolls to have exactly the same long, curly hair, so I straightened the Caroline wig with a boil wash.

I paired this wig with some blonde lashes, and figured I was done:

Not what I had been imagining.
I wasn't thrilled with the result.  I couldn't really put my finger on why, though.

So, forging ahead, I dressed Liriel, made her a necklace, and took 500 pictures of her.

Once I got the pictures onto my computer and started looking through them, though, I realized that Liriel's eyebrows made her look angry...and were also pretty lopsided (her right brow is much higher than her left).  On top of that, her wig was set too high on her head.

Bummer.

I took Liriel back into my workroom so that I could re-paint her eyebrows and re-set her wig.  I've never done this kind of modification on a doll after the eyelashes were in place, and it was tricky!

I used the same colors for the second set of eyebrows, but I changed the shape a little bit:


Here's a GIF of the change in Liriel from the first repaint to the second:


I think that the lower hairline and less severe eyebrow shape give her a brighter look.

While we're in GIF mode, I might as well show you the final transformation GIF, too:


Liriel certainly looks less frazzled now, but she doesn't look any happier.  Maybe it's not possible to dramatically change the expression in the mouth without using darker or more opaque lip paint?  I'd love to know if any of you artists have tips for how to achieve a successful expression change!

The other frustrating thing about Liriel is that her pale hair and face paint made her extremely difficult to photograph.  My camera wanted to make all of the pictures super-dark, so I had to enhance the exposure manually.

Anyway--enough complaining.  Here are some pictures of Liriel:


She's wearing a rose pink satin sash and a pink ("tourmaline") October birthstone necklace:


The Caroline wig is really long and silky-smooth after being straightened:


I'm not sure I'm crazy about this wig, though.  It's a platinum blonde color, and despite what it looks like in some of my pictures, it has very little golden blonde in it.  It's white blonde, with some greenish hues in certain lighting situations.  I think that the picture, above, is pretty accurate.

I tried this wig on Liriel when it was still curly, too, and I definitely prefer it when it's straight.  It's less pageant-like and really fun to play with!




Clips don't work for Liriel's straight hair as well as they work for some of the more curly-haired girls, but I think they look nice when they're right at the front of her head:



I also like how her pale hair looks with a flash of color, so she'll also come with this pink rhinestone clip:




Despite the strange way that Liriel impacts the exposure on my camera, I ended up taking a ton of pictures of her.  I think I was just trying to get her to smile!











I tried every angle I could think of, and Liriel is definitely at her happiest when she's looking upward a little bit--and when she's seen from her left side:





Happy or not, let's see how Liriel measures up to my other Ariel dolls.  Here's the cumulative GIF:


I think Liriel might be the most typical-looking of all the Ariels, but she has a bit of a different vibe from the other girls.

Liriel's coloring takes on a completely different feel when she's outside in the natural light:


Her hair looks much more yellow, and the detail in her eyes is so pretty!


We went outside on a slightly cloudy day.  Liriel went hunting around the yard for flowers, but could only find blooms that had gone to seed:


When she found this magnificent seed cluster, I suggested that she blow it and make a wish!


She ended up wishing for the sun to come out...


And it worked!


When all of the seeds had been blown away, though, the sun retreated back behind the clouds.


I was happy about this, since a shady day is better for photography.


And we still got a glint of sun here and there:





I love how Liriel looks against this brownish-pink mossy background:


In the comments section of Cassiel's post, I mentioned that, since all of these girls have angel-like names, perhaps I should have leaned into the angel theme a bit more.  Dr. Jones suggested I add halos and wings!

This sounded like a fun idea, so I ordered some inexpensive feather wings and some fairy light wires...and I made Liriel wings and a halo!



The wings hook into the velcro of the dress, and the battery pack for the halo tucks into the ribbon sash.




These accessories aren't anything special, but I thought they might be a fun addition for anybody who wants them.  I would just recommend not leaving the halo lights on when the doll is left alone.  Reviews suggest that the lights are safe, but I'd hate it if they started a fire or singed a wig!

The wings are small and want to disappear behind all of Liriel's hair (they won't show very well on the girls with long, curly hair), but tying the hair back helps a lot:


The halo is really fun to use in photographs! 






Nothing about Liriel's makeover process turned out the way I'd envisioned it, and so it's been hard for me to look at her and see anything but failed efforts.  However, I'll admit that by the time I was photographing her outside and trying on her angel accessories, I was beginning to feel some real affection for this girl.  She has a bit of an ethereal, elfin quality that brings to mind fictional characters like Daenerys or Galadriel.

Here's a summary of the work that was done on Liriel:
-her head was removed from her body and all vinyl parts were thoroughly cleaned
-old glue residue from around the neck joint was removed
-the wig, eyelashes and eyes were removed
-the head was cleaned with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and all remaining factory paint was stripped away
-scuffs on the face were sanded down
-her face was sealed with Mr. Super Clear
-she was given new D400 glass eyes from Hand Glass Craft
-her face was repainted, including lips, blush, and eyebrows
-she was given new blonde eyelashes
-she is wearing a straightened platinum blonde wig from ZaZou Custom Dolls
-her eyebrows were re-painted after an asymmetry was observed and her wig was re-set
-she is wearing a white peasant-style dress from Doll Clothes by Carole.  The dress is accented with a pink satin sash and a matching crystal birthstone necklace
-she will come with optional angel wings and a light-up halo

Liriel's cloth torso is covered with picks and snags and she has a small bit of glue residue near her neckline.  She also has slightly limited mobility in her neck joint, but can still strike most poses.  She has some very mild squeaking in her armature.  Otherwise, she has only minor scuffs and shiny marks from being old.  I do not recommend leaving the fairy light halo turned on for extended periods of time or when the doll is left alone.

I've long-since forgiven Liriel for her makeover shenanigans, but it's definitely time to move on!  Next up will be the non-Denver giveaway Ariel, and then I'll finish this collection with the doll that I'm the most excited about.  Be back soon (I hope)!

24 comments:

  1. She is pretty. Maybe you should experiment more with wigs? Like a short bob, side parts blunt bangs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions, Luis! The next doll will have a short bob, and the last doll will have some wig modifications, so maybe we're a little bit on the same wavelength? :)

      Bangs can make a huge difference in the appearance of a doll's face, so that's something I planned to do with this collection, but I really don't like dolls with bangs very much. I bought a black-banged wig for Gabriel but had to reject it because it didn't work with her eyebrows. :/

      Side parts are a really good idea! I've only ever tried that once, but I was happy with how it looked!

      Delete
  2. She turned out very pretty, she looks like she should come from Scandinavia somehow. Seeing her in the dress I straight away thought of St Lucy (or St Lucia as they call it in the Nordic countries). They have a tradition where girls wear a white dress with a crown of candles on St Lucia's day. I hadn't even got to the point where you had put on the halo!

    Also, is anyone else seeing the names and thinking of the Garth Nix series (Old Kingdom/Abhorsen)? Not quite the same as they were -ael not -iel names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! I don't know anything about the Garth Nix series (I bet I'd like the names, though!), but I had a similar thought about Liriel looking Scandinavian! I was tempted to dress her in the blue My Twinn sweater that looks very Nordic--just for a picture or two--to show how nice she'd look in that kind of outfit. White is really not her color...but it's fun to learn about the St. Lucia's day traditions! That makes me like her outfit much more. :)

      Delete
  3. Ha! The part about the scratches above Liriel's nose being caused by a mini cat made me laugh! Here's another suggestion for a future makeover: maybe you could make one of these dolls into a boy? Or a girl with a pixie cut? I think that could be really cute (though I may be a bit biased, having a pixie cut myself)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, I love the pixie cut idea! And actually, I know just where to get a really nice wig with this cut. Thank you for the suggestions! :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with Alison! She reminds me of a child version of the Viking vampire Rebekah from The Vampire Diaries. I like the angel additions, are you making them for the whole group?
    Now, I'm no artist but I have full lips like Ariel and looking in the mirror I made a few observations:
    1. When smiling, the upper lip becomes visibly thinner and shorter (the red part doesn't reach the corners) than the relaxed state.
    2. The mouth corners are more pronounced. Some dolls are painted with dark dots in the mouth corners and that enhances the illusion that they smile more than the sculpt allows.
    3. There's really little you could do with that colour choice, because the sculpt's own shadows are deeper than the pale pink. It's a beautiful colour that looks natural and angelic on a child, just not strong enough to trick the sculpt into what you had in mind.
    Just something to have in mind for the future, because Liriel turned out beautiful as she is, even if she doesn't match your initial vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BlackKitty, I appreciate the input about smiling faces. I agree with everything you said! I fear that I'll never be able to significantly alter the expression without either Dremeling the vinyl (tried that--bad idea!) or using really dark lip color, which--exactly like you said--isn't great for a child doll.

      And yes, the angel accessories will be for the whole group. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't think Liriel is sad per se, but then I have a hard time seeing any Ariel as sad with that smirk. Perhaps Miss Liriel is just a bit more serious than the others. She came out looking very pretty, I think. She reminds me of my Salome, who also has blonde hair (and strangely looks a little angry). Kat has a good idea too; maybe make one of these a boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of making a boy doll, but I have no idea what wig to use. I am a complete stranger to the short wig market. Many boys have long hair, of course, but without using a short wig, I'm not sure how I would make it clear I was representing a boy? Perhaps with the clothing? I'm probably being too closed-minded.

      Delete
  6. She is so beautiful! I think she is the favorite of the Ariels yet! I think she looks more happier when compared to the other Ariels. She reminds me a little bit of Elsa from Frozen. Maybe because of her pale coloring and blonde hair? Although the Ariel sculpt looks nothing like Elsa.

    ~Jerusha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Jerusha! I'm so glad you like her. I like her better now that I have a bit of distance. I didn't think of Elsa, but you're totally right! She'd look beautiful in an Elsa costume. :)

      Delete
  7. She is lovely and Nordic looking.
    But I think if you want to change the look of the sculpt, you'll need to use a lipcolour that contrasts with the skin tone a bit more. This colour goes beautifully with her colouring and age but it blends into the skin tone too much to change the look of the overall sculpt.
    But also if you look at factory painted Bjds that have smiling faces, a lot of them actually don't even follow the sculpt lines with the paint at the edges of the mouths. Quite often the paint at the corners is slightly higher than the sculpted mouth. And it isn't something that looks weird, you wouldn't even notice unless you were looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael. I agree about the lip color. I think with my aesthetic, changing the expression would be very hard. I know what you mean about not following the sculpt lines--some Monster High dolls had that style of paint. I've experimented very gently with painting outside of the sculpt on the Ariels, but I'm not quite daring enough to go completely "off road" yet! It opens up some exciting variations, though!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful job! As are all your girls! I do look forward to every time you post! I know the TBP blog isn’t being updated, but I would love to know your thoughts on the Ruby Red Fashion Friends! R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I *LOVE* the Ruby Red Fashion Friends...at least in pictures. I don't have one of my own yet, but they're very much the kind of doll I enjoy. When I first saw them, I wished that I was still doing TBP so that I had an excuse to buy one for review! Do you have one? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

      Delete
    2. I don’t: but I think you need to resurrect TBP for them! That’s why I asked if you had them! ☺️

      Delete
  9. I think she turned out beautiful! When you added the wings and halo she reminded me of a little girl taking part in a Christmas play as an angel. Also, I think she would be adorable dressed in a 70's outfit and flower crown-her long straight hair just reminds me of a flower child. All the Ariels are amazing! Cari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cari! I love your idea of a 70s outfit and a flower crown! That's exactly Liriel's style, I think. I hope the Ariels are giving you a few ideas for your own Ariel makeover! ;)

      Delete
  10. It's funny because she looks kind of sad and lost in the initial, indoor pictures, but the moment you brought her outside she suddenly looks like she's smiling in every picture! She's an outdoor girl! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! She totally is. Everything about her brightened when I took her outside.

      Delete
  11. Thank you Linda! I haven't heard of the show Lucifer, but I'm always on the lookout for new shows, especially in the pandemic! ;)
    I really need to dress Liri in the My Twinn Scandinavian sweater for a few pictures. I think it would suit her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering if you'd consider taking on a heavily-damaged doll for the Halloween season. You could embrace the more obvious repairs by giving it a Frankenstein theme, but keep it soft and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It‘s so amazing how the girls look so different, even the faces look like different shapes. Such a great idea, I love this project Emily ❤️ Maybe I‘ll be able to catch Cassiel when she‘ll be in etsy. I‘ll adore her ❤️

    ReplyDelete