Saturday, July 25, 2020

Sharon

This is just a quick post to show off a doll from my own collection.

Ever since I started to get serious about My Twinn dolls, I've wanted a girl with the Sharon face mold.  The Sharon face is considered very rare, and so it's taken me a very long time to find one!  I finally found my girl, though, and I didn't have to pay a fortune for her.

This Sharon is a lovely example of the mold, with gorgeous dark brown eyes and delicate face paint.  She wasn't in need of many of my restoration skills, but she needed a new wig.  I recently found a wig that's worthy of this treasured doll, and it's the Meredith wig from ZaZou Custom Dolls:

Denver My Twinn doll with the Sharon face.
Danielle from ZaZou has been using some of my pictures to advertise her 13-inch wigs, and so the primary goal of this photo session was to try and get a few good photos of the wig for Danielle.

I'm also excited to show off this beautiful doll and add another example of the Sharon face to the internet's (limited) database.


The wig has the same length, weight, and level of curl as the Poppy (worn by Elsie) and Rowan (worn by Henna) wigs.



As I've mentioned before, I find this level of curl difficult to manage, but it looks amazing in photographs!

Here are some more shots of lovely Sharon:









The wig looks beautiful when it's clipped back, too:



I like how Sharon looks with one side of the wig clipped and the other side loose:


And she looks very elegant with her hair swept back lower on her head:


This wig can look quite different in different lighting situations, so I took Sharon outside on two different days to try and capture the nuances of color:


This angle shows off the lines of highlighted hair at the top of the wig:


At this point I still had some of the original ringlet curls partially in tact:


During my second outdoor photo shoot, the hair was loose and the curls were staring to get a bit more chaotic:




But on this day (and especially against the green backdrop) the rich medium brown color of the wig really shines!





That's it!  I hope you enjoyed seeing Sharon and her gorgeous new wig.

In all of these photos, Sharon is modeling a wonderfully simple and summery gauze romper from Fairy Tale Blessings.

13 comments:

  1. I love Sharon and think the Gauze romper beautifully matches that flowy hair! What a fun glimpse of your collection. : ). -Micah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Micah! Yeah, I tried other outfits on her, but this one really lets the wig be the center of attention!

      Delete
  2. Wow, she really is special! They managed to put an ageless face on a child doll without it looking out of place. The wig looks great too. It's so nice of you to help your fellow doll enthusiast with photos for her business.
    I'm glad you get to keep Sharon. I am currently reading all of TBP like many others and it's bittersweet knowing that most of those dolls aren't with you any more. I hope you kept enough of the ones you truly like (the Cinderellas?) to feel content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting comment about her face. It does look ageless! There's a simplicity to the paint, the dark (almost featureless) eyes, and the mold itself. Perhaps the mold is rare because few parents thought this face looked like their child? Food for thought.
      I still have *so* many dolls! The Tonner Cinderellas are here to stay, and they still make me so happy. I even kept the Disney Store and Mattel Cinderellas from the live action movie. :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to see what she looked like with her original wig. Was it a dramatic transformation, or was the original wig of similar color/style? Also, is she a Denver doll? And how did you manage to find her? Was it a saga or did you just happen to spot her one day? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You are so funny. :) I don't have any pictures of her with her original wig. It was a dark, short wig with bangs and was very cute! She looked much more child-like with the original wig. I almost kept it on her, but it was dry and a bit faded.
      It wasn't really a saga to find her...just a bidding war. I was so nervous watching the end of the auction that my hands were shaking! How crazy is that?? But she was originally on a non-posable body, so I think that made her less desirable to some collectors. I was able to find a nice Denver body that matches her head vinyl almost perfectly, so she's a 1996 head on a 1999 body. Happy ending! :D

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Lauren! It's an interesting face, isn't it? I like it because it's very distinct from the other faces, and it has a serene, neutral expression. I can project a variety of emotions onto her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen this lovely face before! I have one My Twinn, a Madison. I tend to like the more neutral or "Mona Lisa" expressions on all kinds of dolls. I may have to look for a Sharon...Thank you for sharing her!

    I've enjoyed watching the transformations on this blog. I love(d) TBP as well. Several of the many dolls I have are probably due to your writing! I enjoy the details you give, with a dollop of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Desert Lily! I'm so glad that you enjoy both this blog and TBP--they're quite different! I love your description of Sharon as a Mona Lisa face. That's very much her vibe! I think Lenora also has this kind of expression, and it's very versatile and fun to work with!

      Delete
  6. Hmm... while she does look pretty and serene in some shots, I think the Sharon face is a bit boring. Maybe she'd be more interesting with different face paint? Freckles, perhaps? Is her face paint original, or did you re-do it? I do tend to find the original My Twinn paint bland on many faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel good, Kat! I didn't do anything to Sharon's face. I love her for her original My Twinn look, but I have to agree with you that I tend to prefer a bit more color/intricacy on my doll's faces. That's why I find it extremely difficult to resist adding freckles to everybody. :)

      Delete
  7. I like how serene the Sharon face is, and the wig is perfect for her. Did that white romper come from Fairy Tale Blessings? If so, is it as nice as the unicorn outfits? I've been thinking of getting one for my Rael but I'd like a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romper is from Fairy Tale Blessings--yes. Sorry for my slow reply. The romper is very simple, but I really like how it compliments any doll and is photo-friendly. If anything, it's made better than some of the unicorn outfits (and it has no velcro), but it's not as creative or complex. The price is high for such a simple garment, but--despite that--I've bought three of them. :)

      Delete